Viridor is seeking to develop an Energy Recovery Facility at Stonehouse in South Lanarkshire capable of processing 330,000 tonnes of waste and generating 34MW of electricity a year.
The Overwood ERF is to be located at a site which had previously be considered by another operator who’s proposals had attracted over 24,000 objections.
BECG was tasked with ensuring that statutory pre-application consultation was undertaken in a manner that exceeded the minimum requirements of Scottish legislation to try and reduce the level of community concern about the Viridor proposal.
How we assisted
BECG developed a comprehensive digital and Covid-compliant consultation strategy for the application to be delivered between January and April 2020.
- A bespoke consultation website
- Two virtual public exhibitions held in February and April
- Live chat events for interactive engagement with local residents
- Direct mail to over 4,000 addresses
- Proactive PR campaign
- Extensive political and stakeholder outreach at community council, local authority, MSP and MP level
The consultation with Viridor is still ongoing.