FCC Environment is one of the UK’s leading resource and waste management companies, providing homes and businesses across the country with a range of services, from collecting waste to recycling and processing, and generating green energy from waste.
Key project information
FCC Environment initially engaged BECG in April 2019 to provide traditional press office services, delivering media relations across national, regional / local and specialist trade press across the energy / environment and municipal / public sectors.
Over the course of the last year, BECG’s role has evolved into providing more comprehensive communications support, ranging from developing and delivering the overarching communications strategy, political stakeholder engagement, designing and delivering media and marketing campaigns, securing proactive media opportunities and supporting crisis / issues management.
How we assisted
BECG has been effectively managing FCC Environment’s reputation through integrated Government relations and media relations activities, targeting key stakeholders and positioning the organisation as a well-regarded thought-leader in the waste management industry.
Over recent months, BECG’s work has focused on MP engagement following the 2019 General Election, and Ministerial engagement further to the 2020 Government reshuffle. As well as coordinating Member briefings and meetings, BECG also provides timely updates on relevant political development – such as reporting on the progress of the draft Environment Bill through Parliament; policy developments; Westminster Hall Debates on relevant topics; APPG meetings; and departmental / ministerial consultation responses.
On the media side, BECG’s continues to drive profile for FCC Environment with specialist trade titles, and at both local / regional and national levels. At national level, BECG proactively secures opportunities for thought leadership, planned feature articles, broadcast coverage and develops national PR campaigns. At local level, keeping in mind that FCC Environment’s clients are local authorities, BECG seeks local stories targeting local authorities and regional stakeholders.
Highlights that BECG has delivered for FCC Environment include:
- Strategic communications development
- PR services, including:
– Delivering seasonal or topical national / regional PR campaigns
– Driving proactive media opportunities such as interviews, feature article opportunities, thought leadership blogs
– Securing trade media, broadcast, print and online coverage, nationally and regionally
– Crisis / issues management
– Press office services handling inbound media enquiries
- PA services, including:
– Monitoring of and input for relevant political and parliamentary context such as key policy developments, Select Committee activity, Consultations, APPGs, Westminster hall debates, new appointments and events including General Election, Budget, Spending Review, etc
– Stakeholder mapping and engagement – securing briefing meetings, site visits etc at constituency, Westminster and Whitehall levels
- Wider comms support, including award entries, case studies, employee engagement / internal communications and site-specific marketing campaigns
FCC Environment has worked with BECG for over a year now and in that time, I have been thoroughly impressed by what we have achieved together and the quality of their work. BECG’s account team has fully embedded themselves in our business and are a true extension of the team here. This partnership combined with BECG’s knowledge of the political and media landscape has delivered great results for us and our local authority clients.
Julie Fourcade, Head of External Affairs, FCC Environment