What it’s all about
We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic individual with an interest in politics and the built environment to act as the company’s senior business leader within the Midlands Region and to take responsibility for its growth and development.
This is a critical role for the company, specifically leading and coordinating the delivery of one of BECG’s Strategic Objectives: to grow the company’s business across the Midlands. The post-holder will become the most senior member of the Public Affairs Team in the region.
What you’ll need to know
- Political – An up-to-date knowledge of the political system at national and local levels and experience dealing with regional politicians
- Planning – Experience working within The Town & Country Planning Act and also, ideally, with Development Consent Orders; both across a variety of sectors
- Business networks – Must have links and relationships with business networks to help support new business development by referral and should be capable of building further networks and contacts
- Regional issues – Knowledge of existing and emerging regional issues affecting clients and potential clients
- Management – A strong, creative and proactive approach to management together with excellent interpersonal, communication and motivational skills
- Communication – Excellent negotiation and communication skills with a good understanding of sales, marketing and media relations
- Planning and organising – The ability to plan, organise and prioritise activity, balancing resources, skills, priorities and timescales to achieve objectives
- Client focus – Maximise the team’s contribution to the business and in delivering unbeatable value to the client at every opportunity
- Commercial awareness – Has thought and consideration for the business environment they work in, whilst assessing a process for identifying, protecting and exploiting ideas and knowledge that may have potential commercial value and impact on the bottom line
- Mobility – Valid UK driving licence and a willingness to travel throughout the region and nationally
What you’ll need to do
- Financial management of the region as budget holder
- Management of regional staff and our Birmingham office
- Promoting the work of the company within the region
- Supporting the development of new products and services
- Development of new business strategic and tactical plans; creating and managing a regional PR and marketing strategy
- Developing networks within the region for himself/herself and mentoring other members of staff to do the same
- Mentoring and developing staff within the region ensuring that appraisals, pulse checks and probation reviews are completed on-time
- Attending client and new business meetings around the region and supporting other regions where his/her skills are appropriate
- Recruiting new staff based on the requirements of client work and the company’s budgets
- Ensuring that all financial and management reporting is completed
- Supporting the team in the delivery of client work, where required
- Helping the team to deal with major issues arising with any client relationship
- Monitoring and reporting on client satisfaction and developing measures to increase it
- Demonstrating a record of success as evidence of the value the company has delivered to clients
- Developing senior-level key-client relationships
- Supporting the team in carrying out negotiations on contracts
- Providing forward-planning and growth reports
- Providing support to the Content team in selling its services to existing clients and in obtaining new clients within the region
Who we are & What we do
BECG is a sector specialist communications consultancy for the built environment. We provide our private and public sector clients with expert counsel and communications services including public affairs, planning communications, corporate communications, public relations, and marketing. We use our expertise to promote a better understanding and acceptance of the built environment and deliver value to our clients by maximising opportunities, managing reputations and reducing risk.
Operating from nine offices across the UK, our people are sector specialists that champion the built environment sectors. They manage political, media and community relationships for some of the UK’s most respected companies. We pride ourselves on having one of the largest, most experienced stakeholder and community engagement teams in Britain.
BECG has been awarded the Best Places to Work in Property accolade by Property Week, ICCO EMEA Independent Consultancy of the Year Award, ranked No 3 in Property Week’s UK Public Affairs consultancy rankings, and named one of the top three fastest growing PR consultancies in the UK by PR week.
BECG is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.