BECGconversation episode 18: The Car Ownership Debate in London
With environmental issues featuring increasingly on the political agenda, we looked to see how local government can react to the challenge, particularly focusing on travel and car ownership. We explored questions such as:
- How can local government help to reduce vehicle emissions?
- How can we do so while understanding residents’ feelings about their cars?
- Do we have to prepare residents for having to change how they live their lives?
- How can the planning system help to do this?
- Are interventions like ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) and LTNs (Low Traffic Neighbourhoods) required to do this? If so, how are they best implemented?
The panel comprised of: